This year’s Education Week was celebrated from 21 to 27 May with the theme of Healthy Mind, Healthy Body.
Education Week is an opportunity for all primary and secondary schools and early childhood services to showcase the work they are doing for students to help ensure healthy minds and bodies.
The week aims to profile and celebrate everything from sport, dance, mentoring, yoga, meditation, reading, and art, to camps, excursions, breakfast clubs, healthy canteen menus, stress management and resilience; and more.
To help celebrate Education Week this year our students participated in a Hands-On Science workshop. Students participated in challenging, enjoyable science and technology activities that encouraged our students to think. Students were actively involved and encouraged to, observe, record, report and conclude from their observations and experiment results.
On the Friday afternoon students also participated in a variety of sports. The games that Miss Leanne selected helped to promote eye hand co-ordination; interaction with other children; social skills; self-confidence & working independently.
Today we are estimating and counting pasta to understand place value.
To help celebrate Education Week this year, students attended a ‘Hands-On Science’ workshop on Tuesday May 23 2017.
Hands-On Science offered challenging and enjoyable science and technology activities that encouraged children to think. Students were actively involved and encouraged to, observe, record, report and conclude from their observations and experiment results.
During this session students developed an understanding of how inventions and discoveries have affected the environment. They explored alternative uses for waste materials.
- Identified reasons for inventing.
- Sorted materials to understand that sustainability has many meanings.
- Made a “plastic” from different materials.
- Acted as an environmental scientist testing water samples.
- Observed the effect of burning different materials.
- Investigated and tested products that are biodegradable.
- Explored water sustainability.
- Made a motor that uses clean energy from recycled materials.
- Were inspired to invent something that is useful and environmentally friendly.